Svetlana “Lana” Yarosh is an Assistant Professor in the Computer Science & Engineering Department at University of Minnesota. She has two Bachelors of Science from University of Maryland (in Computer Science and Psychology), a Ph.D. in Human-Centered Computing from Georgia Institute of Technology, and two years of industry research experience with AT&T Labs. Her research falls primarily in the area of Human-Computer Interaction, with a focus on Social Computing and Child-Computer Interaction. She designs systems that enhance strong-tie social relationships to create stronger families, support individual health and wellbeing, and provide a stage for personal and community growth. Her work has been featured on CNN, has won multiple innovation competitions and best paper awards, and has been honored with numerous grants and scholarships.
- Feb 3rd: My paper on Designing for Recovery Communities has been accepted for presentation at the CHI 2016 Computing and Mental Health Workshop (20% acceptance rate)
- Feb 3rd: My student’s new HP Sprout ShareTable app has been accepted as a demo to CHI!
- Dec 18th: FOUR (!) posters by my undergraduate students have been accepted to CSCW 2016! So proud of each of them!
- Dec 14th: Paper on tech for cross-cultural parenting accepted to CHI 2016!
- Nov 4th: Dr. Schueller and I have been awarded a Jacobs Foundation grant to explore the co-design of positive psychology technologies with children!
- Sept 3rd: Paper on empowering children to communicate through tech has been accepted to the International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction
- Aug 25th: I received an NSF grant to study mediated social touch
- Aug 17th: Paper on youth-video authorship online accepted to CSCW 2016!
- July 20th: I am giving an invited talk at Tel Aviv University
- July 9th: I am giving an invited talk at University of Haifa
- June 24th: I received a $25,000 gift through Facebook’s Academic Programs to study the use of Facebook Groups for recovery from substance use disorders
- June 21th-24th: I attended IDC 2015 in Boston, MA
- May 14: My students and I are presenting four posters at the SOBACO Spring Research Symposium
- May 1st: Joined the interdisciplinary Human Factors faculty at U of M
- Apr 20th-23rd: Attended CHI 2015 in Seoul, South Korea.
- Apr 19th: Co-organized a workshop on Children’s Play for Wellness at CHI
- Apr 15th-17th: Attended the eKids Conference at Schloss Marbach organized by the Jacobs Foundation
- Mar 18th: Awarded an NSF CRII grant to support my work with online recovery communities!